There are a 100 other ways to do it.
For years I’ve been giving the advice that even if you don’t drink you can still go to bars to meet people – and in fact you should. But lately I’ve been feeling like even if that is a good way to meet people, it’s just not my scene, and it might not be yours either. So now what?
Google brings up a billion options,and here are my favs:
- Taking a class (ceramics, exercise, GRE, Acting)
- Volunteering (mentoring, building a house, putting together care packages)
- Joining a sports league (Soccer, Tennis, Flag football, Work softball)
- Film screening / play and staying for the talk back (Check Meetups and local events)
- Friend of friend referral
- Online (You can always put, “Drinks never” many people are looking for that!)
- Sitting next to someone new at church (“Hi, I don’t think we’ve met, I’m Angela”… #BFFs5minslater)
It is still important to develop a level of comfort being in social situations where alcohol is being served – but if it’s not your preferred thing, it’s not your preferred thing, and that’s all good.
What others would you add to the list?